I was so excited to have a sloper block so I could start drafting my own patterns! I also want to learn how to use my block to help alter readymade patterns to fit better.
I wanted to draft this cowl blouse for this lovely silk I bought at Britex Fabrics in San Francisco. I traced my sloper and followed the directions in Suzy Furrer’s pattern drafting book to make the cowl blouse. I altered it by making the hem 1.5 inches below the waist. The rest I did by following the directions.
Here’s the first pass that I whipped up in muslin. It won’t have the same drape but it give me a good start. I felt it was a little loose in the back so I think I will do the darts.
Before cutting that beautiful silk, I’ll make one more sample out of less expensive fabric but one that I might still wear. I am going to drop the hemline another inch and then add a 1.5 inch hem allowance.
Not bad for the first sample. I am going to do another one that includes the cap sleeve pattern that I will draft for it. This process has helped me discover where there were challenges in construction as well.
I decided the hem needed to be longer and I added cap sleeves.
Cute so far. The final silk blouse had some challenges. It was harder to sew than the polyester. I used a tissue stabilizer to help feed the fabric. I also has some problems with the hems I have such a hard time with hems on bias cut fabric. I think i need to just do a narrow hem and leave it at that. I used french seams for all of the side seams except where the zipper is. I used two layers of fabric for the sleeves so folded back on each other there is no hem. I also added a small pleat into the cap sleeve for a little mote room. You can’t even tell its there really but it helps with movement. I tacked down all the facings so they didn’t flap.
Over all for a first drafting project this pattern turned out really nice! I am so excited to wear it with my Style Arc Erin Culottes.